Below are recommended books and reading materials that cover every stage of tiny house life. From just thinking about your tiny house, to starting your build, to finishing touches and interior design, to living. Some cover every stage, while others cover certain aspects of the tiny house movement.
Big Tiny, The: A Built-It-Myself Memoir (Starting at $11.99)
The Big Tiny is the story of how one woman built her own house with her own two hands – all 84 square feet of it – and discovered that the important stuff in life isn’t stuff.
“Admitting that I am ‘happy enough’ makes me wonder if I’m falling short of my potential as a middle-class American; like I should want more out of life than this tiny house and the backyard, and the way it feels to sit on the porch and watch the sun come up…
But the fact are the facts: I found a certain bigness in my little house–a sense of largeness, freedom, and happiness that comes when you see there’s no place else you’d rather be.” – Dee Williams
Amazon carries many formats for this book: from eBook to paperback to hardback. Click buy now to see the different options.
Go House Go! DIY Tiny House Building Guide ($20)
By Dee Williams
Go House Go is Dee Williams’ compact how-to manual for tiny houses. This 52 page PDF eBook is the do-it-yourself (DIY) tiny house building guide that Dee wished she’d had when she built her first tiny house in 2004. It’s short, sweet, and loaded with enough technical information and resources to get you started on building a tiny house plan we’ve designed, or one you’re dreaming up all on your own. The text covers a broad spectrum of tiny house design and construction considerations and recommendations, and there are photos and diagrams throughout so you can see just what we’re talking about.
The contents include:
Life In A Tiny House: 10 Inspiring Stories About How Your Home Can Change Your Life ($10)
What is it really like to live in a tiny house? Curiosity about tiny homes is exploding, yet it’s still hard for most people to wrap their heads around what it’s like to build or live in one. Isn’t it just too kooky, too risky, or too hard? Not once you see it through the eyes of the people who already call tiny houses home.
Billy Ulmer from PAD and Unlikely Lives wrote this ebook to collect stories and advice to inspire people to take action on their own tiny house dreams, and to think differently about the way our homes can help us lead lives we love. It features over 200 pages of photos and interviews with people who live in tiny homes, discussing questions like these:
- Why did a tiny house feel right to them?
- How did they go about designing, building and moving in?
- What is life like now that they’ve been living there, for between a few months and ten years?
It also shares why tiny houses aren’t as “extreme” as some might think, offers useful perspectives on how people overcame the challenges in their own journeys, and recommends practical steps to help anyone create some of the benefits of tiny house living, no matter where they call home.
Tiny House Decisions: Everything I Wish I Knew When I Built My Tiny House ($39)
Tiny House Decisions is a comprehensive field guide to help aspiring tiny house builders (like you) make the right choices for their unique homes. In it, Ethan takes you through the decisions he made, what he ultimately decided for his own house (and why), and how those decisions affected the overall project. He’ll help you:
- Identify key choices and understand the relationships between them so you can plan your house effectively — without spending countless hours researching.
- Save hundreds or even thousands of dollars on your tiny house by avoiding common mistakes.
- Feel confident about the choices you’re making, because you’ll know they’re the right decisions for you.
It’s hard to figure out exactly which questions you should be considering when you’re faced with so many choices. That’s why Tiny House Decisions starts at the very beginning of the decision-making process. Here are just a few of the things you’ll know by the time you finish Tiny House Decisions:
- Is a tiny house right for you? Why (or why not)?
- Should you build it yourself?
- Should you build it on wheels?
- Should you buy pre-made plans or go the custom route?
- Should you buy a used trailer? (Hint: I wouldn’t!)
- When should you start building?
- What are the best water, heat, and ventilation systems for your space?
And plenty more!
The right investment — even if it’s small — can save you time and money while planning and building. Tiny House Decisions just might be that investment for you.
Tiny House Magazine ($5/mo or $48/yr)
Tiny House Magazine is a wonderful source for every tiny house enthusiast, no matter which stage you’re in. Articles from some of the biggest names in the tiny house movement, you’ll always find what you’re looking for in this wonderful magazine. There is a new issue released every month, so subscribe to receive an annual discount of 20%! Issue 56 has over 90 pages! Best part is you can always purchase back issues if you can’t get enough of this great magazine.
Available in Apple, Android, and PDF formats.
Tiny House Parking (Starting at $5.99)
No doubt, you’ve heard about someone being forced to move from their tiny house due to complaints by neighbors, zoning issues, or conflicts with landlords.
The good news is that these kinds of issues can be minimized by finding the right piece of land for your tiny house. Whether you rent land, buy it, or trade your time or services, you need to lay out your exact requirements so you’ll know exactly the right space when you see it.
Tiny House Parking will help you navigate the confusing legal landscape that surrounds tiny houses so you can find exactly the right place for your tiny home.
Inside Tiny House Parking: How to Find Safe, Practical, and Affordable Land for Your Tiny House
Tiny House Parking answers these questions and more:
- Where can I put a tiny house?
- Where can I legally build a tiny house in my jurisdiction?
- Will it be legal to live in my tiny house?
- How do I find landowners willing to let me rent a place for my tiny house?
- How do I avoid brushes with the law or local authorities?
In Tiny House Parking, you also get:
- A crash course in zoning basics so that you know how to find your town’s zoning bylaws and make important decisions about your tiny house.
- Information about the legality of different types of tiny houses.
- Advice how to deal with the law (if you have to).
- Exact requirements of what you’ll need on the land where you live.
- General strategies (and a huge list of resources) for finding exactly the right place.
Finally, Tiny House Parking features extensive interviews with three other tiny house dwellers so you can learn exactly how they went about finding land. These tiny house parking stories are followed by a list of tiny-friendly cities, and details about the tiny house movement in other countries.