Communities for Veterans in Need (by state)
Note: If you’re interested in supporting this effort, please see the Mayors Challenge to End Veteran Homelessness for helpful resources.
- Alabama: The men of Phi Kappa Psi at the University of Alabama in Huntsville have started Foundations for Tomorrow to create a tiny home village for homeless veterans.
- California: Residence for Patriots has a vision of utilizing the tiny home movement to solve homelessness and bring back community in the San Diego area. Contact: email@example.com.
- Colorado: Heroes Home Colorado is raising funds for a community. Contact: HeroesHomeCO@gmail.com
- Florida: In St. Pete, Celebrate Outreach is planning a tiny house community for veterans. Contact George Bolden via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Georgia: The Chatham-Savannah Homeless Authority is creating a community of 12 tiny homes for veterans along with a possible additional 60 tiny houses for other homeless folks. A three-acre plot of land was recently purchased for the community whose name is expected to be The Cove at Dundee.
- Illinois: The Vets4Vets Village in rural Williamson County, Illinois, is exclusively for veterans, families of deployed troops, and families of those who lost their lives.
- Kentucky: Steve O’Bryan is working toward a tiny house community for veterans in Louisville, KY.
- Massachusetts: Carolyn Love Scalise is working on a tiny house community for veterans in Natick, MA. Please contact me for her email address.
- Missouri: Veterans Community Project, founded by veterans Chris Stout, Kevin Jamison, and Mark Solomon, has built its first tiny house at Veterans Village, a community intended to grow to 52 tiny houses and a day outreach center on four acres of land on 89th and Troost in Kansas City. They plan to teach living skills, provide case management and PTSD treatment to veterans that do not qualify for VA services or consistently fail in other programs.
- New Hampshire: Veteran Peter Macdondald is building the Veterans Resort Chapel and Tiny House Community in Lee, NH.
- New Jersey: Amazing Grace Ministries in Franklinville is nearly done with the first four tiny homes in their Operation Safe Haven community for veterans.
- Wisconsin: A tiny house community is under construction in Racine, sponsored by the Veterans Outreach of Wisconsin. One tiny house is completed and 14 more planned, as part of the James A. Peterson Veterans Village.